Bruce A. Martin
Current Responsibilites (at BNL):
- Control System Design for Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC)
- Installation & test procedures for 200 Front End Computers (FECs)
comprising RHIC control system
- Embedded firmware for WaveForm Generators to control 1000 power supplies for superconducting magnets
- Corrector magnet controls for Alternating Gradient Synchrotron
- Software Quality Assurance
Technologies used for control system implementation:
- Unix operating systems (Solaris and others)
- Posix P1003.4-compliant real-time executive (VxWorks)
- Sun and SGI console-level systems; MV68040 front ends; embedded processors (i960, etc.)
- C++ and C programming languages; also Fortran 90, assembler
- WorldWideWeb, HTML, CGI scripts (Perl)
- Sybase, Lex & Yacc, Atria ClearCase
- Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn (now Poly.U.):
- B.S.Math. 1964;
- Research Associate 1964-66,
- posgrad studies in X-ray Crystallography 1964-70;
- Brookhaven National Laboratory:
Applied Mathematics Dept. 1966-80;
returned to BNL staff 12/91 to design RHIC control system (see above).
- Real-Time process control for Neutron Diffration
- Simulation codes for Liquid Metal Fast Breeder Reactors
- Oceanographic database for NYOSL
- ADCCP network for downloading weather bulletins
- Atmospheric Chemistry in turbulence
- Consultant/Microsoft 1980-81.
- Vice Pres. for Software Development/American Science 1981-83.
- Product Mgr./Megadata 1983-85.
- Software Systems Mgr./Robotic Vision Systems Inc. 1985-86.
- Principal Engineer/Grumman Aerospace 1986-91
- Integrated Logistic Support - Staff advisor to Dir. of Computer Engineering
- Ada Technology Insertion (replace ATLAS on Automated Test Eqp.)
- Corporate Technology software audits of JSTARS project
- Developed Software Engineering Standard for Space Division
- Control System for Superconducting X-ray Lithography Synchrotron.
- Standards work (since 1975): ISO JTC1/SC22/WG5 & ANSI XJ3 (Fortran 77, 90, 95); ANSI X3J11 (C); POSIX.
Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at Poly and at Suffolk County Community College.
Whitewater canoeing, spelunking, hiking, camping (BSA);
Prestidigitation (SAM); numismatics;
technical writing (Emerging Technologies Group);
politics (Libertarian Party);